Spinach - FloraFelt 12-Pocket
Spinach - FloraFelt 12-Pocket
Spinach in the Spring and Summer? Yes, it is true, this tropical heat-loving vine from India is actually not a true spinach, but it is very similar in flavor and usage.
- Free-branching climber with red leaf veins and stems
- Will regrow rapidly especially when harvested often
- Has stiff, succulent leaves that taste best when cooked
- Easy to grow, particularly in warm climates because it is so tolerant to heat.
- Rich in iron
- Lends itself well to sauteing
- Stems can be cut and rooted for propagation
Pre-Planted in a FloraFelt 12-Pocket Planter!
The 12 "pockets" on this planter are made from recycled P.E.T. water bottles woven into thick indestructible plastic felt, making this planter good for the environment and good for your plants, by providing a perfect moisture and air circulation balance.
SIZE: 32" wide x 24" high x 5-1/2" deep.
WEIGHT: 5-lbs (about 20-lbs planted).
INCLUDES: Root Wrappers, Irrigation Hose, Mounting Hooks, and Plants
WANT TO ADD OTHER EDIBLE PLANTS? Just click add to cart then complete the form in the pop-up window to select your additional plants.
The plants in this collection are in the Direct Sun light category. To learn more about what that means, click here to view the Successful Indoor Gardening page.
More about the Planter...
The 12 felt pockets on this planter stretch open to receive twelve 4 to 6 inch potted plants. Each pocket is 10" wide by 6" deep. Included Root Wrappers (felt wrappers used to wrap each individual plant) make it easy to change, arrange and handle plants. You can hand water each pocket or connect your garden to an automatic drip irrigation system. We have a Wall Mounted Automatic Irrigation System designed specifically for this vertical garden planter. Click here to jump to that page.
What About the Floors & Walls? Will they get wet?
No! The plastic backing board acts as a moisture barrier that prevents moisture from getting behind the pockets. The barrier also conserves water and helps to keep soil's nutrition where your plant needs it. You can either water your garden outside or put a catch basin of sort under your garden while you water inside.
Want A Larger Living Wall?
You can create a larger vertical garden by stacking these systems together. Stack one on top of another and you have a vertical garden 48" tall and 32" wide. Put two side by side and you have a 24" tall x 64" wide vertical garden.
More about the Plants...
- Soil: A light, well-drained soil that is rich in humus, moisture retentive, and contains lots of nitrogen and potassium will make these plants very happy. This plant is quite sensitive to pH (both extremes may cause deficiency), so adjust if necessary. Spinach is quite tolerant of saline soils.. *
- Water: Keep the soil evenly moist (not wet) otherwise it may bolt. Try to avoid splashing mud on the leaves as it can make them gritty.*
- Food: Spinach needs a moderate amount of nitrogen and potassium and a fairly small amount of phosphorous.The main requirement for Arugula is nitrogen, but they also need moderate amounts of potassium and phosphorus. *
- Harvesting: Depending on the size and quantities you want. Begin to harvest as soon as leaves are of sufficient quantity and size.*
- Did You Know?: Spinach is rich in iron, but the iron is very water soluble and easily leached out by boiling. It also contains vitamins C and A (beta carotene), folate, luteine and various useful phytochemicals.
- * Source: (www.smartgardener.com, 2014).