Sorrel - FloraFelt 12-Pocket
Sorrel - FloraFelt 12-Pocket
Red Veined Sorrel has stunning foliage with elongated, medium green leaves, exquisitely veined in a brilliant burgundy-purple. This is a hardy perennial, suitable for growing in cool seasons. An attractive clump of leaves forms quickly and sends up red flower-clusters in early summer, followed by brown seed heads.
As a bonus, this plant is incredibly deer-resistant.
Pre-Planted in a FloraFelt 12-Pocket Planter!
The 12 "pockets" on this planter are made from recycled P.E.T. water bottles woven into thick indestructible plastic felt, making this planter good for the environment and good for your plants, by providing a perfect moisture and air circulation balance.
SIZE: 32" wide x 24" high x 5-1/2" deep.
WEIGHT: 5-lbs (about 20-lbs planted).
INCLUDES: Root Wrappers, Irrigation Hose, Mounting Hooks, and Plants
WANT TO ADD OTHER EDIBLE PLANTS? Just click add to cart then complete the form in the pop-up window to select your additional plants.
The plants in this collection are in the Direct Sun light category. To learn more about what that means, click here to view the Successful Indoor Gardening page.
More about the Planter...
The 12 felt pockets on this planter stretch open to receive twelve 4 to 6 inch potted plants. Each pocket is 10" wide by 6" deep. Included Root Wrappers (felt wrappers used to wrap each individual plant) make it easy to change, arrange and handle plants. You can hand water each pocket or connect your garden to an automatic drip irrigation system. We have a Wall Mounted Automatic Irrigation System designed specifically for this vertical garden planter. Click here to jump to that page.
What About the Floors & Walls? Will they get wet?
No! The plastic backing board acts as a moisture barrier that prevents moisture from getting behind the pockets. The barrier also conserves water and helps to keep soil's nutrition where your plant needs it. You can either water your garden outside or put a catch basin of sort under your garden while you water inside.
Want A Larger Living Wall?
You can create a larger vertical garden by stacking these systems together. Stack one on top of another and you have a vertical garden 48" tall and 32" wide. Put two side by side and you have a 24" tall x 64" wide vertical garden.
More about the Plants...
- Soil: Sorrel prefers rich, moist, well-drained soil that has a mildly acidic pH..*
- Water: Sorrel will tolerate some drought, but it is best to keep the soil evenly moist for maximum production.*
- Food: Like any green leafy vegetable, it will grow better with a good supply of nitrogen. However, fertilizing isn't necessary because it will grow in almost any soil.*
- Harvesting: Leaves can be harvested any time, but are better when they're small and tender. They tend to be mildly flavored early on and gradually gain their characteristic acidity and flavor as the season progresses.
- Harvest before the first fall frost kills all growth.
- Did You Know?: Sorrel is an excellent source of Vitamin C, A, and B9. It's also a good source of iron, magnesium, and calcium.Leeks are a good source of vitamin C, potassium and calcium.*
- * Source: (www.smartgardener.com, 2014).