Lettuce Garden - Wally One
Lettuce Garden - Wally One
There is nothing quite like eating lettuce freshly harvested from your garden and with this Pre-Planted Garden In A Box you can choose from seven beautiful and delicious varieties. The difference in taste between home grown vegetables and store bought vegetables is most pronounced with lettuce - you will never want to buy lettuce from the store again.
Pre-Planted in a Wally One Pocket
This Garden in a Box Kit will come with a Planter (15" tall x 24" wide) in your choice of color, the best potting soil for your plants, AND the plants described above.
The Planter is made from 100% recycled plastic water bottles woven into a soft felt material, these pockets provide both proper air circulation and the correct balance of water retention and drainage that your plants need.
WANT TO ADD OTHER EDIBLE PLANTS? Just click add to cart then complete the form in the pop-up window to select your additional plants.
The plants in this collection are in the Some Direct Sun light category. To learn more about what that means, click here to view the Successful Indoor Gardening page.
More about the Planter...
INDOOR - With a Reservoir - includes a military grade, built-in moisture barrier that wraps around the bottom of the Pocket, from back to front. This barrier creates a reservoir to ensure walls and floors don't get wet. The barrier also conserves water and helps to keep soil's nutrition in your Pocket. Best choice for INDOOR gardens.
OUTDOOR - Without a Reservoir -good for outdoor applications in rainy environments, it has a recessed moisture barrier that allows proper drainage when it rains.
How to HANG and WATER this Wally
Universal fasteners and wall anchors are all included. Wally pockets have grommets, spaced 22" apart, at the top of the pocket. All you need to do is screw included fasteners through the grommets and into the vertical surface you are planting on. Detailed instructions can be found here.
You can water by hand, or install an Automatic Irrigation System to do the watering for you. Click here for more information.
More about the plants...
- Temperature: Lettuce is adapted to cool growing conditions with the optimum temperatures for growth between 60 to 65 degrees F. Some varieties, such as Romaine, are much more tolerant of heat.
- Light Outdoors: These are cool weather crops and will thrive in partial shade. If the leaves show signs of wilting it could be exposed to too much direct sunlight.
- Light Indoors: All types of lettuce will bolt to seed when exposed to far red light from grow lights, so avoid using red grow lights that are for the flowering/blooming stage as well as incandescent lighting. Warm white and Cool White fluorescent/CFL lights are the only artificial light that should be used with this plant. Optimal exposure: 51 watts per square foot for twelve or more hours per day.
- Water: The key to lettuce production is supplying moderate but almost constant water, especially during hot weather.
- Soil: The soil should also be rich in nitrogen and potassium. Strive for a pH of 6.0 to 6.8.
There are four main kinds of lettuce, each listed below. There is no wrong choice among these delicious garden greens.
- Butterhead lettuce is the largest and arguably the best-flavored group of lettuce varieties. You will see tender leafs form a tightly folded head with delicate buttery flavor. Butterhead leaves can be harvested at just about any time in their development.
- Looseleaf lettuce seeds are fast-growing and won’t form tight heads. This type comes in varieties comprising a rainbow of colors from chartreuse, deep and lime green to bronzy reds. Space seeds 6" apart so you can cut individual leaves at any stage and the plants will keep producing. Looseleaf leaves can be harvested at just about any time in their development.
- Romaine lettuce contain elongated, thick leaves which are crisp and savory, and hold these qualities well after harvest. Very heat resistant, the plants are slow to bolt; ideal for either fall or spring. Space romaine lettuce seeds 12" apart. Romaine takes 75 to 85 days to mature.
- Crisphead lettuce contain curved, overlapping leaves which form crispy, firm round heads. Inside, creamy white leaves are tightly packed. The deep green outer leaves are also delicious. Crisphead varieties can take 70 to 100 days to mature.