Endive - Wally One
Endive - Wally One
Frisee Endive, also known as Curly Endive, has a deliciously crisp and nutty flavor. This variety has extra finely-cut lacy leaves, delicate crispy ribs and creamy hearts. It is also slow-bolting and easy to grow in a variety of soils. It is extremely popular in France, and truly one of the most elegant of the salad vegetables. As the plant reaches full size, the outer leaves should be gathered up and tightly bound with an elastic band, excluding sunlight to its newly forming inner leaves.This makes the frisee more tender and gives it a two-tone appearance. Frisee is best served raw with a sharply acidic dressing to offset the slightly bitter taste.
Pre-Planted in a Wally One Pocket
This Garden in a Box Kit will come with a Planter (15" tall x 24" wide) in your choice of color, the best potting soil for your plants, AND the plants described above.
The Planter is made from 100% recycled plastic water bottles woven into a soft felt material, these pockets provide both proper air circulation and the correct balance of water retention and drainage that your plants need.
WANT TO ADD OTHER EDIBLE PLANTS? Just click add to cart then complete the form in the pop-up window to select your additional plants.
The plants in this collection are in the Direct Sun light category. To learn more about what that means, click here to view the Successful Indoor Gardening page.
More about the Planter...
INDOOR - With a Reservoir - includes a military grade, built-in moisture barrier that wraps around the bottom of the Pocket, from back to front. This barrier creates a reservoir to ensure walls and floors don't get wet. The barrier also conserves water and helps to keep soil's nutrition in your Pocket. Best choice for INDOOR gardens.
OUTDOOR - Without a Reservoir -good for outdoor applications in rainy environments, it has a recessed moisture barrier that allows proper drainage when it rains.
How to HANG and WATER this Wally
Universal fasteners and wall anchors are all included. Wally pockets have grommets, spaced 22" apart, at the top of the pocket. All you need to do is screw included fasteners through the grommets and into the vertical surface you are planting on. Detailed instructions can be found here.
You can water by hand, or install an Automatic Irrigation System to do the watering for you. Click here for more information.
More about the plants...
- Plant Height: 8" to 12"
- Plant Diameter: 6" to 9"
- Exposure: Full Sun is especially important when growing in the cool seasons.
- Soil: Frisee prefers a rich and moist soil. It should be well drained (as with most cold weather crops), otherwise the roots may rot over the winter. It grows well in quite acidic soil, with the ideal range being 5.8 to 6.0. Greens, such as this plant, love organic matter. It is a good idea to incorporate 2" of compost into the top 6 inches of the soil.
- Water: This plant needs a regular water supply to grow well. Keep the soil evenly moist to prevent bolting.*
- Food: Compost and aged manure are recommended to be incorporated into the soil. A liquid feed of compost tea, applied every 3 weeks is best.*
- Harvesting: When leaves have firm texture and look mature, it is time to harvest. Remember that is is better to pick it earlier than later. You can either harvest the whole head, individual leaves, or most of the heart (the part remaining will often re-sprout).*
- Did You Know?: Endive leaves contain lots of vitamins A and C, as well as some vitamin E and folate. They are also rich in minerals, including iron, potassium, calcium and phosphorus.*
* Source: (www.smartgardener.com, 2013).