Cabbage - Wally Three
Cabbage - Wally Three
Also known as bok choy and Chinese white cabbage, Joi Choi grows amazingly large and fast, especially compared to Pac Choi, but is still well suited for vertical gardens using the Woolly Pocket Planters. The leaves of this Asian green are dark with bright white stalks which are thicker than other Asian Greens. This variety is remarkably juicy with a pleasing mild flavor with a hint of mustard; perfect for stir-fry recipes, soups, and noodle dishes.
Pre-Planted in a Wally Three Pocket
This Pre-Planted Kit will come with a Planter (15" tall x 64" wide) in your choice of color, the best potting soil for your plants, AND the plants described above.
The Planter is made from 100% recycled plastic water bottles woven into a soft felt material, these pockets provide both proper air circulation and the correct balance of water retention and drainage that your plants need.
WANT TO ADD OTHER EDIBLE PLANTS? Just click add to cart then complete the form in the pop-up window to select your additional plants.
The plants in this collection are in the Direct Sun light category. To learn more about what that means click here to view the Successful Indoor Gardening page.
More about the Planter...
INDOOR - With a Reservoir - includes a military grade, built-in moisture barrier that wraps around the bottom of the Pocket, from back to front. This barrier creates a reservoir to ensure walls and floors don't get wet. The barrier also conserves water and helps to keep soil's nutrition in your Pocket. Best choice for INDOOR gardens.
OUTDOOR - Without a Reservoir -good for outdoor applications in rainy environments, it has a recessed moisture barrier that allows proper drainage when it rains.
How to HANG and WATER this Wally
Universal fasteners and wall anchors are all included. Wally pockets have grommets, spaced 22" apart, at the top of the pocket. All you need to do is screw included fasteners through the grommets and into the vertical surface you are planting on. Detailed instructions can be found here.
You can water by hand, or install an Automatic Irrigation System to do the watering for you. Click here for more information.
More about the Plants...
- Spacing: 10" apart (Plant Diameter is 6 to 8")
- Height: 12" to 16"
- Exposure: Full Sun
- Soil: Bok Choy or Joi Choi, prefers a rich, moist, and well drained soil with a lot of nitrogen. Greens, such as this plant, love organic matter. It is a good idea to incorporate 2" of compost into the top 6 inches of the soil.
- Water: This plant needs a regular water supply to grow well. Keep the soil evenly moist for best results.
- Food: This Asian Green is a heavy feeder. Compost and aged manure are recommended to be incorporated into the soil. Because this plant grows so quickly in such a short amount of time, it will need a lot of nutrients to keep it going. A liquid feed of compost tea, applied every 3 weeks, will help the young plants in early fall.
- Harvesting: When this plant is mature and ready to be harvested (45 - 55 days in spring and summer, 55 - 65 days in fall and winter), the whole plant is cut out, rather than harvesting a few leaves at a time.
- Did You Know? This crop is very rich in beta-carotene (much more than Cabbage), and also contains valuable quantities of vitamin C, K and several B’s, calcium and iron. Many important antioxidants, including lutein, zea-xanthin, sulforaphane and isothiocyanates, give this plant powerful anti-cancer properties
- (www.smartgardener.com, 2013).