Mustard Greens - Wally One
Mustard Greens - Wally One
This is a beautiful mustard plant. Deep emerald green leaves start with a purple tinge and grow increasingly purple as the leaves mature. If you like spicy mustard, this is the plant for you. This is also a great companion plant, as it naturally repels aphids. Osaka is relatively cold hardy and performs best in cool, moderate climates with consistent moisture and a soil pH of 6.0–6.8. Hot temperatures, anything over 70°F, turns this spicy mustard to a very spicy mustard.
Pre-Planted in a Wally One Pocket
This Garden in a Box Kit will come with a Planter (15" tall x 24" wide) in your choice of color, the best potting soil for your plants, AND the plants described above.
The Planter is made from 100% recycled plastic water bottles woven into a soft felt material, these pockets provide both proper air circulation and the correct balance of water retention and drainage that your plants need.
WANT TO ADD OTHER EDIBLE PLANTS? Just click add to cart then complete the form in the pop-up window to select your additional plants.
The plants in this collection are in the Direct Sun light category. To learn more about what that means, click here to view the Successful Indoor Gardening page.
More about the Planter...
INDOOR - With a Reservoir - includes a military grade, built-in moisture barrier that wraps around the bottom of the Pocket, from back to front. This barrier creates a reservoir to ensure walls and floors don't get wet. The barrier also conserves water and helps to keep soil's nutrition in your Pocket. Best choice for INDOOR gardens.
OUTDOOR - Without a Reservoir -good for outdoor applications in rainy environments, it has a recessed moisture barrier that allows proper drainage when it rains.
How to HANG and WATER this Wally
Universal fasteners and wall anchors are all included. Wally pockets have grommets, spaced 22" apart, at the top of the pocket. All you need to do is screw included fasteners through the grommets and into the vertical surface you are planting on. Detailed instructions can be found here.
You can water by hand, or install an Automatic Irrigation System to do the watering for you. Click here for more information.
More about the plants...
- Plant Height: 8" to 15"
- Plant Diameter: 6" to 12"
- Exposure: Full Sun (min of 6 hrs direct sun). Daytime temperatures of 85°F or over will damage this plant.
- Soil: PH: 6.0-6.8, Ideal 6.0-6.3. Mustards aren't particularly fussy but are most productive in rich moisture retentive soil.*
- Water: For mild flavored mustard greens you must keep the soil moist at all times. If the soil is too dry the plants will develop a bitter and pungent flavor.*
- Food: High nitrogen, moderate potassium, and moderate phosphorous will keep all mustard varieties producing well.*
- Harvesting: You can harvest the leaves continuously a few leaves at a time starting at the bottom of the plant while the leaves are still young and healthy. Leave the newly forming leaves at the top to keep growing. Store the leaves in the refrigerator where they will keep for about a week.
- Did You Know?: Mustard Greens are among the most nutritious of greens, rich in vitamins A and C, as well as calcium, iron and potassium. Like other Brassicas they also contain a variety of cancer preventing phytochemicals.*
* Source: (www.smartgardener.com, 2013).