Fern Gully - GroVert Planter
Fern Gully - GroVert Planter
Foxtail Fern, Boston Fern, Burgundy Lace Painted Ferns, Dwarf, Mother Fern, Austral Gem Fern, Hasta Fern, East Indian Holly Fern, Lemon Butter Fern, and Silver Dollar Fern
All Pre-Planted in a GroVert Living Wall Planter!
Each planter is 8.5" wide x 18" tall and has 10 "cells" or spaces for ten 4" plants. You can be easily put two or more planters together to create a larger vertical garden.
SIZE (WHEN PLANTED):10" wide x 20" high x 8" deep.
WEIGHT: 1-lbs (about 12-lbs planted).
INCLUDES: Planter, Installation Bracket, & Plants
The plants in this collection are in the Some Direct Sun light category. To learn more about what that means, click here to view the Successful Indoor Gardening page.
The 10 "cells" in this planter are set at a 45 degree angle, allowing the plants to grow up and out. As the plants grow they hide the planter so all that is visible is the beautiful living art of the plants.
The easiest way to provide water for this planter is by using an Irrigation Tray (available above). It is a container that slips on the top of the planter, with four tiny holes in the bottom designed to slowly irrigate each cell, ensuring that all the plants absorb the water appropriately. Automatic Irrigation Systems are a great option for the busy gardener or for anyone who is using multiple GroVert trays. These systems can be indoors or out and are run by either battery or electrically powered timers.
If you would like to keep this planter indoors, a Collection Tray (available above) is also strongly advised because it will catch any water that drains from the bottom of the planter, keeping your walls and floors dry.
For Planting and Installation Instructions, visit the GroVert How-To page.
More about the plants...
- Foxtail Ferns add unusual texture to this vertical garden. The stems are long and plumy with needle-like leaves. Like most ferns, this plant desires temperatures above 50 degrees F with a good amount of humidity.
- Boston Ferns are both beautiful and helpful in their ability to clean and filter air. Despite popular opinion, this and most other ferns are not shade lovers indoors. Good indirect light is best. An east or north facing windowsill is ideal.
- Burgundy Lace Painted Ferns add a splash of silver and burgundy-purple to this wall. Along with these other ferns, this plant requires wet or constantly moist soil.
- Dwarf Asparagus Fern, with its fine textured foliage, adds a softening contrast to the bold textures on this wall. It will grow dense and upright, topping out around 15 in. tall.
- Mother Ferns, named for the mature plants production of numerous tiny plantlets, has finely divided woody fronds. Misting is a requirement.
- Austral Gem Ferns are perfect for indoor gardens because the waxy coating on the leaves gives a shiny appearance and prevents the leaves from drying out and creating a mess inside.
The other ferns pictured above have similar requirements. Their availability is subject to change. Ferns are not difficult to grow inside or out (zones 9 –11), but they will not tolerate neglect.