Clean Air - GroVert Planter
Clean Air - GroVert Planter
This wall combines several plants that filter out common volatile organic compounds (VOCs). Indoor air is typically far more polluted than outdoor air and luckily for us these particular plants are perfect natural filters.
All Pre-Planted in a GroVert Living Wall Planter!
Each planter is 8.5" wide x 18" tall and has 10 "cells" or spaces for ten 4" plants. You can be easily put two or more planters together to create a larger vertical garden.
SIZE (WHEN PLANTED): 10" wide x 20" high x 8" deep.
WEIGHT: 1-lbs (about 12-lbs planted).
INCLUDES: Planter, Installation Bracket, & Plants
The plants in this collection are in the Semi-Shade light category. To learn more about what that means, click here to view the Successful Indoor Gardening page.
The 10 "cells" in this planter are set at a 45 degree angle, allowing the plants to grow up and out. As the plants grow they hide the planter so all that is visible is the beautiful living art of the plants.
The easiest way to provide water for this planter is by using an Irrigation Tray (available above). It is a container that slips on the top of the planter, with four tiny holes in the bottom designed to slowly irrigate each cell, ensuring that all the plants absorb the water appropriately. Automatic Irrigation Systems are a great option for the busy gardener or for anyone who is using multiple GroVert trays. These systems can be indoors or out and are run by either battery or electrically powered timers.
If you would like to keep this planter indoors, a Collection Tray (available above) is also strongly advised because it will catch any water that drains from the bottom of the planter, keeping your walls and floors dry.
For Planting and Installation Instructions, visit the GroVert How-To page.
More about the plants...
- Peace lilies are among the very few air purifying plants that flower. They adapt well to low light, require weekly watering and are great cleaners of benzene (carcinogen found in paints and furniture wax) and acetone (emitted by electronics, adhesives, and cleaning products).
- Spider Plants or Airplane Plants are a great plant for beginner or busy gardeners. It reproduces quickly, growing long hanging stems which sprout plantlets. This plant will filter both formaldehyde (found in some pressed wood products including cabinetry, plywood paneling, and furniture) and benzene molecules.
- Heart leaf Philodendron is a climbing vine plant that is a natural workhorse for removing all kinds of VOCs, particularly formaldehyde. It does well with other plants requiring bright but sunless light conditions and moist by not wet soil. Please note that it is poisonous when eaten so it is not a good choice for those with children or pets who may eat the leaves.
- Golden Pothos is another easy care natural air cleaner. It tackles formaldehyde, carbon monoxide, and benzene particularly well.
- Boston Ferns are considered one of the most efficient air filters. It is a good idea to provide humidity for this plant to perform at its best.
- Hedera helix is another easy care houseplant which excels at absorbing formaldehyde and VOCs.